Issues setting up dnstap logging

Robert Edmonds edmonds at debian.org
Mon Dec 28 01:54:24 UTC 2020

Robert Edmonds wrote:
> I have not seen fstrm_capture crash with SIGPIPE. However, on another
> machine running unbound 1.13.0 I have noticed fstrm_capture logs the
> following message when unbound is stopped, but fstrm_capture keeps
> running:
>
>     fstrm_capture: connection fd 8: libevent error: Broken pipe (32)
>
> That makes sense to me, because if fstrm_capture is handling and logging
> an EPIPE from libevent then the process isn't being killed with SIGPIPE.
> But I'm not sure why the behavior differs between your fstrm_capture
> instance and mine.

Looking into this a bit more, it's because I'm running fstrm_capture
under systemd, which by default causes SIGPIPE to be ignored:

    IgnoreSIGPIPE=
        Takes a boolean argument. If true, causes SIGPIPE to be ignored
        in the executed process. Defaults to true because SIGPIPE
        generally is useful only in shell pipelines.

--
Robert Edmonds
edmonds at debian.org