Ubuntu 18.04, unboud 1.6.7 and python module

Christian Kelinski c.kelinski at emetriq.com
Wed Aug 5 09:41:18 UTC 2020

Hi,

we have a unbound python modul up and running which resolves Hostnames like ip-1-2-3-4.some.domain to 1.2.3.4. Currently our environment is Ubuntu 16.04 and unbound 1.5.8.

Since Ubuntu 16.04 is EOL in some months I want to update our Servers to Ubuntu 18.04. But the module is not working anymore.

First it seems that accessing qstate.qinfo.qname_str in operate() doesn't work. I get an error:
error: pythonmod: Exception occurred in function operate, event: module_event_moddone

No big deal since the info could be retrieved from qstate.qinfo.qname_list

But when calling msg.set_return_msg(qstate) with a DNSMessage Object which has the answer appended it always fails (and unbound returns SERVFAIL). I compiled the documentation for unbound 1.6.7 and tried the "Response generation" example without luck.

I both tried python2 and python3 with same results.

With some small modifications I got the module up and running with Ubuntu 20.04 which ships with unbound 1.9.4. This modified version also works with Ubuntu 18.04 and a from source compiled unbound 1.11.0.

I attached the module to this E-Mail. Doing a "dig

I seems I'm missing something since - based on the documentation - I doing it okay __ Has someone experienced something similar with Ubuntu 18.04/unbound 1.6.7?

Thanks in advance and thanks for creating such a lovely software!
Christian

[https://www.emetriq.com] <https://www.emetriq.com/whitepaper-reports/programmatic-data-playbook/>

[https://www.emetriq.com] <https://www.emetriq.com>

Whitepaper, Analysen & Reports rund um Data-driven Advertising gibt es auch im monatlichen E-Mail-Newsletter emetriq Data Update <https://www.emetriq.com/newsletter/?utm_source=emetriq_mail&utm_medium=outlook&utm_campaign=newsletter> .

[https://www.emetriq.com] <https://www.facebook.com/emetriq/> [https://www.emetriq.com]  <https://www.instagram.com/emetriq_at_work/?hl=de> [https://www.emetriq.com]  <https://twitter.com/emetriq?lang=de> [https://www.emetriq.com]  <https://www.xing.com/companies/emetriqgmbh>

emetriq GmbH
Vorsetzen 35
20459 Hamburg

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Handelsregister: AG Bonn, HRB 20117
Geschäftsführer: Claas Voigt, Stephan Jäckel
Wir sind Mitglied im BVDW (Bundesverband Digitale Wirtschaft)
Datenschutz ist emetriq sehr wichtig. Weitere Informationen finden Sie in unseren Datenschutzhinweisen unter www.emetriq.com/datenschutz <https://www.emetriq.com/datenschutz> .

This e-mail is confidential and is intended for the addressee(s) only.
If you are not the named addressee you may not use it, copy it or
disclose it to any other person. If you received this message in error
please notify the sender immediately.