rrset-roundrobin

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu Apr 9 20:06:24 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 9 April 2020 11:27:39 UTC George Thessalonikefs via Unbound-users
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We recently got a feature request
> (https://github.com/NLnetLabs/unbound/issues/215) to change the default
> value of 'rrset-roundrobin' from no to yes.

i like this idea.

> Given that we don't have strong feelings either way I am reaching out to
> you in case you feel opposed to the change.
>
> Please let this not be derailed (too much) to a discussion about the
> effectiveness of the feature in different scenarios.

order is not supposed to be relied upon, but if order is preserved, then
hidden reliance can creep into the system. the sooner these RRsets are
randomized, the better adapted the whole system will be to lack of order
preservation.

(when i made round-robin the default in BIND4, there was heck to pay, and i
wished it had been done years earlier.)

--
Paul