unbound asks for A record, when txt requested

Petr Špaček petr.spacek at nic.cz
Fri Sep 13 08:15:07 UTC 2019

On 12. 09. 19 16:35, Daisuke HIGASHI via Unbound-users wrote:

>     There is this draft in the works:
>
>     https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-no-response-issue
>

> I fully agree content of the document, but we can’t expect that all implementers strictly follow an I-D that its intended status is BCP.
>
>     <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-no-response-issue>

This is misunderstanding! draft-ietf-dnsop-no-response-issue simply points out common non-compliance, it does not change the DNS protocol in any significant way.

Responding to well-formed queries is the very basic of DNS protocol - there is no such thing as "ignore query" in the very basic DNS resolution algorithm as standardized in RFC 1034:

Any implementation which is unable to respond to well-formed queries is just broken and there is no excuse for it.

--
Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC