Getting setup for first time

Wouter Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Oct 14 06:25:04 UTC 2019

Hi Rod,

On 11/10/2019 23:35, rod--- via Unbound-users wrote:

> Here is my scenario...
>
> I use untangle as my firewall and typically utilize its DNS server
> static entries for routing DNS on my home LAN to get to servers by
> private IP and then let my domains public DNS manage everything from
> the outside world.

Your config entry for the local-zone is wrong. There are several options
for the local-zone you can use.  It defaults to 'static' that gives not
found for records not listed in the zone.

local-zone: "strumbel.com" transparent

That would use the local data entries, but if there is no local-data
entry try to look it up upstream.  That seems to be what you want.

In the example config and man page there is a longer list of
possibilities for the local-zone depending on what you want (refusal,
logging).  If you decide to use a separate namespace for that set of
machines as Andreas suggests, a local-zone of type static may be easier,
as it denies other names in that namespace.

Best regards, Wouter