How to use multiple root-hints files to recursively resolve different zones?

George Thessalonikefs george at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Oct 1 10:32:43 UTC 2019

Hi Danny,

I am not accustomed with opennic's alternate root and their inner
workings but I can point out some things.

auth-zone is indeed the wrong place to put root hints.

You can follow these instructions from the opennic wiki
(https://wiki.opennic.org/tier_2_unbound) mainly the part about the
`root-hints:` option and how to get the file content.

You will also need to add the opennic trust anchor in your
`trust-anchor-file:` file in order to resolve their DNSSEC signed
domains  (https://wiki.opennic.org/opennic/dnssec).

With these you should be up and running.

However please note that by doing that you trust an additional root key
and may face domain name collisions if the same tlds are registered by
both opennic and ICANN (internic). I *suppose* that in that case the
opennic tld will take precedence.

Hope that helps.

-- George