Large(ish) Deployment

Gabriel Marais gabriel.j.marais at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 08:45:34 UTC 2019

Good morning,

I was wondering if there is anyone that would offer their
comments/tips/experience with deploying Unbound on a large(ish) scale.

We are looking at moving away from dnsmasq to something more
"structured" in order to achieve the following :-

1. Service around 20 000 devices with DNS Caching services
2. Have a more structured deployment: having a few dns edges caches
linked to master caches which will be using Root servers for lookups
3. DNS Stats - which we currently do not have on dnsmasq

We are planning to have a few edge caches & masters running in a
containerized environment (Ubuntu with LXD) behind a load balancer to
provide the service.

My questions are:-

1. How many edge caches & masters would be required to service around 20
000 devices?
2. Which Distro are you using? Are there any advantages using something
like freeBSD over Ubuntu?
3. Is it advisable to have the standard out-the-box implementation of
Unbound and deploy more containers in order to meet the desired 20 000
devices or is it advised to change the configs/kernel parameters in
order to make available more sockets and less containers?

Regards

Gabriel