Fwd: Re: DNS versus NAT ?

Eric Luehrsen ericluehrsen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 05:01:42 UTC 2019

On 6/15/19 12:02 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette via Unbound-users wrote:
> In message <20190614024738.C5395201547D1D at ary.qy>,
> John Levine <johnl at taugh.com> wrote:

>>> IP addresses) or get a colo box for high volume DNS query traffic.
>>
>> This sounds like a job for a $5/mo linux VPS at any of a zillion
>> hosting companies.  It gets its own static public IP address, no
>> NAT nonsense needed.
>
> I am in agreement.  I had been doing my DNS research from a static IP
> associated with an end luser broadband line, but I am re-jiggering
> my entire network now and plan to get rid of -that- static IP.  And
> that's what prompted my question(s).  Apparently, once I make this
> change, I won't be able to just carry along as I had been doing before.
> Instead, as it now seems, I'll have to move my DNS research to some
> cloudish sort of place.

You may not need a "cloudish sort of place." It really depends your user
count. A residence or small business doesn't generate that many "new"
domain queries in 24 hours.

If you configure Unbound cache parameters correctly, it won't need to
query much. One trick is setting minimum TTL 5-15 minutes to prevent
misapplication of TTL for load balancing. Even for a guest-consumer
network like a cafe or  small hotel, its google, facebook, instagram,
twitter, and (repeat). If you install an adblock/malweb list in causes
'local-domain: bad.example.com static', then you can really cut down on
useless DNS. The same excessive video-scripted ads that bog your browser
also bog DNS. I package Unbound for OpenWrt and it works okay on single
core mips (Tplink Archer C7) and it works well on dual core ARM (Linksys
WRT3200ACM). In this case, it also works to serve the router as the only
DNS provider by announcing it in DHCP and RA, and also firewall all
UDP/TCP 53 trying to cross WAN/LAN. Only allow the router to be a target
in the firewall.

The "cloudish" option can also be DNS-over-TLS to cloudflare 1.1.1.1 or
quad9 9.9.9.9. Then Unbound merely forwards the full query and these
providers do all the heavy lifting. These services appear to have
reasonable privacy policies at least worth reading. With TLS, your ISP
cannot mingle some "extra information" into your DNS responses.