1.9.1 - zonefile being read but not written to

ѽ҉ᶬḳ℠ vtol at gmx.net
Mon Jul 29 08:07:28 UTC 2019

On 29/07/2019 07:28, Wouter Wijngaards via Unbound-users wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 7/27/19 5:42 PM, ѽ҉ᶬḳ℠ via Unbound-users wrote:
>> debug: read zonefile /srv/unbound/zone files/root for .
>> debug: no zonefile /srv/unbound/zone files/root for .
>>
>> That is with verbosity level 7 and no further insight of why unbound
>> reads the file location but does not write to it.
> I added debug log that prints when the 'write zonefile' happens.  If
> there are errors, then it prints the errors at log level error (which in
> some syslog setups ends up somewhere else from log level debug), and
> this code is already there.
>
> https://github.com/NLnetLabs/unbound/commit/7d5ab2f4de71a0891f528e20bb272af0b2b297c6
>
> Best regards, Wouter
>
>> Also with an empty file provided it just reads that but does not write
>> to it. If there would be some issue with ACL permissions I would expect
>> such to show up in the debug log.
>>
>> How to get to the bottom of it, or to remedy?

Thank you for the feedback and the commit.

Turned out that there is no underlying OS issue for unbound to write the
file(s) but caused by > do-ip6: yes <  when the node does not have
actual ipv6 upstream connectivity.
With > do-ip6: no < the zone files are being written.

This might be remedied with
https://github.com/NLnetLabs/unbound/commit/474afc9016d34a98537a97cc94e14d329c7d8aeb
in version 1.9.2, once the distro gets around to push the update.