Easy noob question

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Tue Jul 9 10:38:42 UTC 2019

 Chris via Unbound-users writes:

 > Sorry for a stupid question.
 >
 > FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p7
 >
 > I updated to 1.9.2 and noticed unbound was linked to OpenSSL 1.0.2q:
 >
 > unbound -h
 >
 > Version 1.9.2
 > linked libs: libevent 2.1.8-stable (it uses kqueue), OpenSSL 1.0.2q 20
 > Nov 2018
 > linked modules: dns64 respip validator iterator

Note that it is dynamic linked so this depends on the OS version.
Using a package is probably the easiest solution.

 > Doing a version check for OpenSSL

 > openssl version
 >
 > OpenSSL 1.1.1a-freebsd 20 Nov 2018
 >
 > So I did a new .config
 > ./configure --with-libevent --without-pthreads --without-solaris-threads
 > --with-ssl=/usr/local/openssl-1.1.1
 >
 > But make encountered this error.

Alternatively, you could use the port system to build it yourself, that
will take care of the dependencies.

OpenSSL is quite a hurdle if you want to build stuff from scratch
because there are three flavors on FreeBSD. The one in the base
system. and two versions in the ports three. Since they all install
libraries in the same place so you have to change it for every
application. That is done in /etc/make.conf as in

	DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl

for the old version (now 1.0.2s) or

	DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl111

for the latest version (now 1.1.1c)

The base version has, as far as I know, OpenSSL 1.0.2s 28 May 2019.

Hope this helps,

	jaap