redis cache?

神明達哉 jinmei at wide.ad.jp
Fri Jan 25 21:26:14 UTC 2019

At Fri, 25 Jan 2019 21:49:24 +0100,
Fredrik Pettai <pettai at sunet.se> wrote:

> Ah, my test was very brief and simple, and I didn't have prefetch enabled.
> But getting the full picture it makes sense on how it all fits together.
>
> Thanks for the explanation, I tested it again with all options enabled,
> and yes now it works better.

Good to know it now works, but if you had to explicitly enable
prefetch, that actually doesn't sound right.  In my
understanding, a prefetch should be attempted when you enable
serve-expired and use expired answer even if prefetch itself is
disabled in the configuration.  The most relevant part of the source
code suggests that's the case:

                if((worker->env.cfg->prefetch ||
worker->env.cfg->serve_expired)
                    && *worker->env.now >=
                    ((struct reply_info*)e->data)->prefetch_ttl) {
[...]
                    reply_and_prefetch(worker, lookup_qinfo,
                        sldns_buffer_read_u16_at(c->buffer, 2),
                        repinfo, leeway);

So if it really required to enable prefetch, that may actually be some
kind of bug.  But in any case...

> (perhaps that should be added to the man page under cachedb)

...it's more about how serve-expired works in general, rather than
how it should interact with cachedb.

--
JINMEI, Tatuya