Help Needed with Unbound

Yogesh Sharma yks0000 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 18:14:45 UTC 2019

Hi Team,

I am new to Unbound and need some help.

I need to forward all of request to local dnsmasq running on 127.0.0.1 at 5353.

Once I do that, I see all lookup are suffixed with search string as present
in /etc/resolv.conf and return server fail. If I do resolve by explicitly
putting "." (dot) at the end, even though I get server fail.

Version: 1.6.6

Config:

server:
    verbosity: 1
    username: root
    interface: 127.0.0.1
    port: 53
    chroot: ""
    do-ip4: yes
    do-udp: yes
    do-tcp: yes
    hide-identity: yes
    hide-version: yes
    msg-cache-size: 50m
    msg-cache-slabs: 4
    rrset-cache-size: 100m
    rrset-cache-slabs: 4
    cache-min-ttl: 300
    cache-max-negative-ttl: 300
    access-control: 0.0.0.0/0 allow
    logfile: "/var/log/unbound/unbound.log"
    log-identity: root
    log-queries: yes
    log-replies: yes
    pidfile: "/var/log/unbound/unbound.pid"
    prefetch: yes

forward-zone:
    name: "."
    forward-addr: 127.0.0.1 at 5353

2nd Question:

considering below forward-zone configuration, will all of  name lookup will
be forwarded to open dns servers (208.67.222.222/208.67.220.220) or it will
send only those name server which are not part of example.com and
example.org

forward-zone:
    name: "."
    forward-addr: 208.67.222.222