how keep unbound up if internet down ?

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 14:23:47 UTC 2019

On 4/24/19 8:58 AM, sean darcy via Unbound-users wrote:
> On 4/23/19 10:32 PM, Eric Luehrsen via Unbound-users wrote:
>> On 4/23/19 7:23 PM, sean darcy via Unbound-users wrote:
>>> Fedora 29, unbound 1.8.3
>>  > ...
>>> How do I /can I configure unbound so that it keeps trying for at
>>> least some period of time ? This is actually a remote machine, but by
>>> sheer luck one of our guys was there. The only thing the users knew
>>> was that nothing worked, even though the net was up.
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> This might more of topic for systemd rather than Unbound. You can
>> configure restart counts, exit values, and time intervals to retry
>> crashes. Begin by reviewing options including keyword "restart"
>> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.service.html
>> -Eric
>>
> Well, thanks. Learned about systemd restart codes. "Restart=on-failure"
> should work. And it's better than the cron job I hacked together.
>
> But it still seems a hack. I'd like to set unbound to be more robust in
> case the net went down, at least for some period of time.
>
> sean

Just added Restart=on-abort to unbound.service.

But that made me realize another issue if you're depending on systemd
and using a distribution, like I am : Fedora.

Any time unbound is upgraded ( And why is Fedora 29 still at 1.8.3 ? ),
the unbound.service file can get replaced. So unless unbound.service is
changed upstream to include Restart, it may happen at an upgrade.

sean