internal error looping module (unbound 1.7.3)

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Tue Sep 11 17:27:00 UTC 2018

Wouter Wijngaards via Unbound-users:
>> a log entry says:
>>
>> error: internal error: looping module (iterator) stopped
>>
>> but the DNS service still works.
>
> The error says that the iterator modules is called too many times.
> Could be a flaw in eg. qname minimisation that gets stuck in a loop.  Or
> it could be some other flaw, eg. a user (script) module that keeps
> (re-)starting the iterator module.  It would be interesting to see what
> query that was for.
>
> This patch should log the query name at verbosity level 1.

thank you for your reply and I really appreciate you even attaching a patch
for debugging in verbosity level 1.

I'll upgrade to 1.8.0 and see if that changes anything. I'm a bit reluctant
to log any kind of query (domain) data. Is it possible to log some (meta)data
that is still useful for debugging but does not write the domains into the logs?

apparently it started to happen more regularly (multiple times per day but at a low frequency <20/d).

Is anyone else also seeing this or am I the only one? (qname minimization is indeed enabled)

--
https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu