Unbound 1.8.0rc1 pre-release
wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Sep 4 09:09:40 UTC 2018
Unbound 1.8.0rc1 pre-release is available:
Windows zip files and setup.exe are also available,
With pgp signatures
This is the pre-release for version 1.8.0rc1.
This release has a number of bug fixes, a list of features added and
some defaults changed.
The defaults that are changed enable options that have been introduced
in the past with an option that defaulted to off, but have proven to
work, improve speed and resilience and we would now recommend to enable
when configuring the server. Still the option exists if you want to
manually specify the feature.
New features include options for unbound-control: auth_zone_reload,
auth_zone_transfer. New counters in the statistics output:
num.queries.tls, num.query.subnet, num.query.subnet_cache. New options
in unbound.conf: dns64-ignore-aaaa, tcp-idle-timeout,
edns-tcp-keepalive, edns-tcp-keepalive-timeout, tcp-connection-limit,
stub-no-cache, forward-no-cache, log-servfail, log-local-actions,
serve-expired-ttl, serve-expired-ttl-reset. Commandline options -R (use
direct queries) for unbound-anchor, -d (delay) for streamtcp. There is
support for RR type SMIMEA. There is support for EDNS option EDNS
The libunbound library has gone up an api version increment because one
of the callback signatures has changed. New information is available to
the callback, existing usage of the function could conceivable get an
upgrade by ignoring the extra function call parameter. For python
scripts, a similar situation, where new information has been made
available to the callback functions, in the form of extra function call
parameters. This information is also available to module callbacks
internally. For python the extra arguments functionality is used to
extend the arguments. The extra information is connection information,
exposing the client's IP address to the callback function and whether
the query failed because of rate limiting.
There are a number of bug fixes for Qname minimisation, and a number of
fixes for auth-zone functionality. And there has been a fix in the
processing of dns64 negative cache entries and a fix about fallthrough
in the view local-zone processing functionality.
- unbound-control auth_zone_reload _zone_ option rereads the zonefile.
- unbound-control auth_zone_transfer _zone_ option starts the probe
sequence for a master to transfer the zone from and transfers when
a new zone version is available.
- num.queries.tls counter for queries over TLS.
- log port number with err_addr logs.
- dns64-ignore-aaaa: config option to list domain names for which the
existing AAAA is ignored and dns64 processing is used on the A
- Fix #4112: Fix that unbound-anchor -f /etc/resolv.conf will not pass
if DNSSEC is not enabled. New option -R allows fallback from
resolv.conf to direct queries.
- Note RFC8162 support. SMIMEA record type can be read in by the
zone record parser.
- Patches from Jim Hague (Sinodun) for EDNS KeepAlive.
- Add config tcp-idle-timeout (default 30s). This applies to
client connections only; the timeout on TCP connections upstream
- Add edns-tcp-keepalive and edns-tcp-keepalive timeout options
and implement option in client responses.
- Add delay parameter to streamtcp, -d secs.
To be used when testing idle timeout.
- Expose if a query (or a subquery) was ratelimited (not src IP
ratelimiting) to libunbound under 'ub_result.was_ratelimited'.
This also introduces a change to 'ub_event_callback_type' in
- Patch to implement tcp-connection-limit from Jim Hague (Sinodun).
This limits the number of simultaneous TCP client connections
from a nominated netblock.
- Fix #4142: unbound.service.in: improvements and fixes.
Add unit dependency ordering (based on systemd-resolved).
Add 'CAP_SYS_RESOURCE' to 'CapabilityBoundingSet' (fixes warnings
about missing privileges during startup). Add 'AF_INET6' to
'RestrictAddressFamilies' (without it IPV6 can't work). From
- unbound-checkconf checks if modules exist and prints if they are
not compiled in the name of the wrong module.
- Patch for stub-no-cache and forward-no-cache options that disable
caching for the contents of that stub or forward, for when you
want immediate changes visible, from Bjoern A. Zeeb.
- Upgraded crosscompile script to include libunbound DLL in the
- Set libunbound to increase current, because the libunbound change
to the event callback function signature. That needs programs,
that use it, to recompile against the new header definition.
- log-servfail: yes prints log lines that say why queries are
returning SERVFAIL to clients.
- log-local-actions: yes option for unbound.conf that logs all the
local zone actions, a patch from Saksham Manchanda (Secure64).
- #4146: num.query.subnet and num.query.subnet_cache counters.
- #4140: Expose repinfo (comm_reply) to the inplace_callbacks. This
gives access to reply information for the client's communication
point when the callback is called before the mesh state (modules).
Changes to C and Python's inplace_callback signatures were also
- Set defaults to yes for a number of options to increase speed and
resilience of the server. The so-reuseport, harden-below-nxdomain,
and minimal-responses options are enabled by default. They used
to be disabled by default, waiting to make sure they worked. They
are enabled by default now, and can be disabled explicitly by
setting them to "no" in the unbound.conf config file. The reuseport
and minimal options increases speed of the server, and should be
otherwise harmless. The harden-below-nxdomain option works well
together with the recently default enabled qname minimisation, this
causes more fetches to use information from the cache.
- Added serve-expired-ttl and serve-expired-ttl-reset options.
- Windows example service.conf edited with more windows specific
- #4108: systemd reload hang fix.
- Fix usage printout for unbound-host, hostname has to be last
argument on BSDs and Windows.
- Partial fix for permission denied on IPv6 address on FreeBSD.
- Fix that auth-zone master reply with current SOA serial does not
stop scan of masters for an updated zone.
- Fix that auth-zone does not start the wait timer without checking
if the wait timer has already been started.
- #4109: Fix that package config depends on python unconditionally.
- Patch, do not export python from pkg-config, from Petr Menšík.
- Fix checking for libhiredis printout in configure output.
- Fix typo on man page in ip-address description.
- Update libunbound/python/examples/dnssec_test.py example code to
also set the 20326 trust anchor for the root in the example code.
- Better documentation for unblock-lan-zones and insecure-lan-zones
- Fix permission denied printed for auth zone probe random port nrs.
- Fix documentation ambiguity for tls-win-cert in tls-upstream and
- iana port update.
- Fix round robin for failed addresses with prefer-ip6: yes
- Note in documentation that the cert name match code needs
OpenSSL 1.1.0 or later to be enabled.
- Fix to improve systemd socket activation code file descriptor
- Fix for 4126 that the #define for UNKNOWN_SERVER_NICENESS can be more
easily changed to adjust default rtt assumptions.
- Fix #4127 unbound -h does not list -p help.
- Print error if SSL name verification configured but not available
in the ssl library.
- Fix that ratelimit and ip-ratelimit are applied after reload of
changed config file.
- Resize ratelimit and ip-ratelimit caches if changed on reload.
- Fix #4129 unbound-control error message with wrong cert permissions
is too cryptic.
- Fix #4130: print text describing -dd and unbound-checkconf on
config file read error at startup, the errors may have been moved
away by the startup process.
- Fix #4131: for solaris, error YY_CURRENT_BUFFER undeclared.
- Fix use-systemd readiness signalling, only when use-systemd is yes
and not in signal handler.
- Fix #4135: 64-bit Windows Installer Creates Entries Under The
Wrong Registry Key, reported by Brian White.
- Fix man page, say that chroot is enabled by default.
- Sort out test runs when the build directory isn't the project
- Error if EDNS Keepalive received over UDP.
- Correct and expand manual page entries for keepalive and idle timeout.
- Implement progressive backoff of TCP idle/keepalive timeout.
- Fix 'make depend' to work when build dir is not project root.
- Fix #4139: Fix unbound-host leaks memory on ANY.
- Fix to remove systemd sockaddr function check, that is not
always present. Make socket activation more lenient. But not
different when socket activation is not used.
- Fix #4136: insufficiency from mismatch of FLEX capability between
released tarball and build host. Fix to unconditionally call
destroy in daemon.c.
- Make capsforid fallback QNAME minimisation aware.
- document --enable-subnet in doc/README.
- Fix #4144: dns64 module caches wrong (negative) information.
- Fix that printout of error for cycle targets is a verbosity 4
printout and does not wrongly print it is a memory error.
- Fix segfault in auth-zone read and reorder of RRSIGs.
- Fix contrib/fastrpz.patch.
- Fix warning on compile without threads.
- print servfail info to log as error.
- added more servfail printout statements, to the iterator.
- Fix classification for QTYPE=CNAME queries when QNAME minimisation is
- Fix only misc failure from log-servfail when val-log-level is not
- Fix lintflags for lint on FreeBSD.
- Fix that a local-zone with a local-zone-type that is transparent
in a view with view-first, makes queries check for answers from the
local-zones defined outside of views.
Best regards, Wouter
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the Unbound-users