NXDOMAIN data leakage prevention

John Peacock jpeacock at messagesystems.com
Mon Oct 1 17:33:30 UTC 2018

It's not just NXDOMAIN; this exfiltration vector is simply a fact of life
with a distributed "database" like DNS.  For example, consider a synthetic
CNAME query from an already infected system that encodes dynamic
information in the query itself; then the answer to the CNAME could be
updated instructions for the exploit code.

You'd almost have to log all queries and try to analyze them on the fly for
anything that was "suspicious".

John