NXDOMAIN data leakage prevention

daniela daniela daniela.daniela.daniela.daniela at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 11:39:06 UTC 2018

This is a very serious problem. I would like insight as well.
I have noticed in my logs such activity e.g from cloudfront.net
<http://internal/tab?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcloudfront.net%2F&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2Fmu%2Fmp%2F411%2F%23co&target=_blank>
and other.

There is no silver bullet we all know that. The domains hosting malicious
programs (and their social engineering) should as far as possible not
reachable from the machines and programs should not be able to install in a
straightforward manner anyway. The known bad ip ranges should be dropped.
The questionable domains should be dns blackholed. And then what? The well
known domains? What shall we do, cut off most of the internet? One may as
well pull the plug, it’s faster.

Sometimes i wonder if in a few years we will be back to a host file with
the few thousands of relatively trustworthy hosts we care for. Then again,
who knows what the next machine does. My packets have to hop to a next
machine, i dont control the internet :(