Difference between 'transparent' and 'nodefault' options

K. de Jong keesdejong+bugs at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 05:36:33 UTC 2018

Hi,

I would like to know the difference between 'transparent' and 'nodefault'.
Transparent sounds like a soft nodefault? When there is local-data it does
a lookup there, if there is not it will continue looking for an answer,
such as e.g. going through the forwarders? Is that correct? This could also
mean it get's a reply from the AS112 project if the address is private,
right?

Can someone also explain this sentence for me? "If no local-zone is given
local-data causes a transparent zone to be created by default." What is
this transparent zone? Why would it be created and if it is created, how
can I see it?

As far as I understand is nodefault a way to use private addresses in your
zone without having them 'answered' by the AS112 project, correct?

I have a stub-zone to an authoritative name server which has only private
addresses in its zone. I guess I will need to use 'nodefault' for that? At
the moment I use 'transparent', that works fine too. What kind of problems
could I expect if I continue with 'transparent'?

Sorry for all the questions... I just want to clearly understand these
options, at the moment I don't and I can't find other sources than the man
page. Thank you.

--
Kind regards,
Kees de Jong  |  OpenPGP fingerprint: 0x0E45C98AB51428E6