Some sites not resolving (DNSSEC?)

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Wed May 23 13:46:04 UTC 2018

Hi Hank,

On 23/05/18 15:23, Hank Barta via Unbound-users wrote:
> Hi all,
> I use pfsense for my firewall and have selected the unbound resolver for
> DNS on my home LAN. I have configured this to use Cloudflare DNS with
> DNSSEC enabled.  In addition to checking the "Enable DNSSEC Support"
> checkbox on the DNS Resolver configuration page I have added the custom
> options

The 1.1.1.1 server responds without DNSSEC for coder.show DS queries.
And for an insecure referral it needs DS denial information for type DS,
eg. the NSEC or NSEC3 from the .show TLD.

Without the forward to 1.1.1.1 it works fine for me.  So it doesn't seem
to be the .show TLD or coder.show site, but the 1.1.1.1 unsigned CNAME
for qtype DS.

A workaround is domain-insecure: "coder.show" in unbound.conf

Best regards, Wouter

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, rcode: NOERROR, id: 0
;; flags: qr rd ra ; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUESTION SECTION:
coder.show.     IN      DS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
coder.show.     437     IN      CNAME   hosted.fireside.fm.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
fireside.fm.    3600    IN      SOA     cory.ns.cloudflare.com.
dns.cloudflare.com. 2027772252 10000 2400 604800 3600

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 122