1.7.3 - stub-zone public domain

Wouter Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Fri Jul 27 15:13:00 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 27/07/18 17:07, ѽ҉ᶬḳ℠ via Unbound-users wrote:

>> stub zones and forward zones are selected closest to the name of the
>> query.  That one is used.
>>
>> If you run another (authoritative) server on the same host,
>> do-not-query-localhost: no is usually necessary to enable unbound to
>> query it.  Otherwise unbound attempts to not get into some sort of loop
>> by querying localhost (itself in many cases), hence it is off by default.
> That does not seems to be an issue. BIND-9 as authoritative server is
> not bound on lo/127.0.0.1 but eth0/172.24.120.10 and port 42053.
That looks fine to me.

> The local QDN set in a stub-zone gets resolved just fine by unbound.
> However, for the public FQDN set in a stub-zone it does not and unbound
> is querying upstream resolvers instead and I do not see why it should.
> Is there a hard-coded logic in unbound for FQDN to always (or first) be
> resolved from upstream servers? The sub-zone is configured as follows:
No, that should work fine and the stub should be used once configured.
All I can think of is that some people report that on FreeBSD there is
at some times confusion and they edit the wrong unbound.conf file, their
edits are ignored because a different config file is used by unbound.
(I think because there are separate configs for different instances;
also Debian has an alternatives mechanism that puts the files in some
other location or was that Ubuntu).

Set verbosity: 4 and see what goes wrong here.  At startup it should
straight away log the stubs and forwards that it read in.

Best regards, Wouter