1.7.3 - stub-zone public domain

Wouter Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Fri Jul 27 14:23:00 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 27/07/18 04:06, ѽ҉ᶬḳ℠ via Unbound-users wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is stub-zone is only serving private domains but not public domains?
stub zones and forward zones are selected closest to the name of the
query.  That one is used.

If you run another (authoritative) server on the same host,
do-not-query-localhost: no is usually necessary to enable unbound to
query it.  Otherwise unbound attempts to not get into some sort of loop
by querying localhost (itself in many cases), hence it is off by default.

>> Running a local authoritative server for the public domain and having a
>> stub-zone set in unbound for that public domain I noticed that unbound

Unbound should prefer the closest of stub of forward zones that is
configured for that query.

For auth-zones, the read fails if there is no masters to fetch the
content from and the file does not exist.  Then it is a fatal error.  If
you also configure a master, it ignores the file and fetches data.  So,
it should work and ignore the non-existant file and fetch for you if
there is some config for that.

I think the file is not found because of the chroot enabled by default
that tripped you up earlier?  Or perhaps the directory: "...." somewhere
that is also enabled by default (usually the chroot location).
Otherwise that file should work, I guess, it has the data in zone file
format.

Best regards, Wouter