Is it possible to set an ipv6 PTR record

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Tue Dec 18 11:30:14 UTC 2018

Hey Robert,

Yes, the advice was not quite right. dig -x takes an address as an argument, not a name. There's a manual page which presumably isn't installed if you're using Linux, since who needs manual pages. You don't need to specify the QTYPE with -x since it sets it to PTR for you; to get the IPv6 address you need to specify QTYPE=AAAA since otherwise dig defaults to A.

dig @resolver robert-chalmers.uk <http://robert-chalmers.uk/> AAAA

should answer with your IPv6 address, if there is one, and

dig -x @resolver 2a02:...(etc)

should answer with the name, if there is one

Joe