Is it possible to set an ipv6 PTR record

Wouter Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Fri Dec 14 15:11:24 UTC 2018

Hi Sean,

Maybe you are not looking for this, but have you tried the

local-data-ptr: "2001:DB8::1234 myserver.example.com"

entry for unbound.conf? That creates and IPv6 PTR record for you server
when this instance of unbound is queried for it.  You should set the
IPv6 address and name for your server.

An implicit local-zone is created when you do this, that covers the data
element in a local-zone, you can set one explicitly so you can set the
type of the local-zone if you want different processing, of, eg. other
data for that zone.  That means how other ip6 addresses are resolved,
for example 'static' (NXDOMAIN for others) or transparent (look
upstream).  This is what that looks like:

local-zone: "8.b.d.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa." transparent

Best regards, Wouter