complaining about logfile: and use-syslog:

Benno Overeinder benno at NLnetLabs.nl
Fri Dec 14 12:22:29 UTC 2018

Hi Anand,

On 13/12/2018 17:14, Anand Buddhdev via Unbound-users wrote:
> On 13/12/2018 16:32, Paul Wouters via Unbound-users wrote:
>
> I really like the clean design of Knot DNS's logging. If you don't
> configure logging, it logs to stderr and syslog by default, at the WARN
> level (a sensible setting). However, if you do add a "log" section to
> the config, you can specify any number of log destinations. You can log
> to any combination of stdout, stderr, syslog or a file, and you can
> select which level is logged to each of those destinations. There is no
> confusion.

Thank you for the feedback.

> However, I doubt that unbound's configuration is going to get an
> overhaul any time soon. Actually unbound has become so fat and full of a
> million options, that I actually find BIND easier to configure these
> days! Isn't that ironic?

We are definitely open to discussions to improve Unbound's
configuration.  If the number of options are overwhelming, this is the
result between the interplay between users (the industry) that needs
functionality, the published Internet standards, and the (open-source)
developers (what we think you need :-)).  However, Unbound comes with
sensible default values and one can run Unbound with a minimal
configuration file.  If you have a special (or more specific) use-case,
there are options to accommodate that.  But to my perspective, the
complexity is with the specific use-case and requirements, not with Unbound.

(In defense of BIND, it runs nowadays also with a minimal configuration
file for many standard situations.)

Happy to exchange ideas and suggestions to continuously improve our
software.

Cheers,

-- Benno

--