complaining about logfile: and use-syslog:

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Thu Dec 13 16:14:20 UTC 2018

On 13/12/2018 16:32, Paul Wouters via Unbound-users wrote:

Hi Paul,

> I think it is silly that if you do not set use-syslog: and you do set
> logfile: that logging is still happening via syslog.

Are you sure about this? The unbound.conf man page says that if you set
"logfile", then "use-syslog" is automatically set to "no".

However, I'll take this opportunity to gripe about unbound's logging
configuration. You either get to log to a file, or to syslog, but not
both. At least, this is what the man page says. It says that if
"logfile" is set then syslog is turned off. And if "use-syslog" is set,
then the logfile option is overridden. But it's not clear which of these
two options is given precedence, and what happens when both are set.

I really like the clean design of Knot DNS's logging. If you don't
configure logging, it logs to stderr and syslog by default, at the WARN
level (a sensible setting). However, if you do add a "log" section to
the config, you can specify any number of log destinations. You can log
to any combination of stdout, stderr, syslog or a file, and you can
select which level is logged to each of those destinations. There is no
confusion.

However, I doubt that unbound's configuration is going to get an
overhaul any time soon. Actually unbound has become so fat and full of a
million options, that I actually find BIND easier to configure these
days! Isn't that ironic?

Regards,
Anand