support for parallel alt-roots?

Dave Warren dw at thedave.ca
Thu Dec 13 02:23:29 UTC 2018

On 2018-12-09 15:46, ѽ҉ᶬḳ℠ via Unbound-users wrote:
>> Assume foo exists in both the root and the “alt-root”. A query comes
>> in for “blah.foo.”. Which zone file does the resolver look into for
>> the referral to foo’s name servers?
>>

> Ideally there should not be any overlapping of subdomains between the
> ICANN root and the alt-root and I would not see why/how there should be.
> There is ICANN has its root/tld and then there is alt-root with its
> root/tld, unrelated to each other.

To me it seems that even if there is an overlap, the problem is
trivially resolved by the fact that the roots are defined in some order
(in the configuration file). Start with the first root, if there's no
TLD hit then move on down the list until you either get an answer or run
out of alt-roots.

Also consider, we can already define a zone with a fallback-enabled
parameter to check a local zone and if it fails then resolve the record
as normal, supporting alternate roots would not be dramatically different.

Whether it's a good idea or not, I'm not sure. Personally I have no use
for alternate roots outside of .onion (which is obviously a completely
different beast).