Unbound swapping

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Sep 14 08:08:12 UTC 2017

Hi Eduardo,

I have no real good idea.  But looking at your numbers, I see that you
are running a network heavy application, unbound, and it uses about 10G
on 12G memory.  The buff/cache is 2G.  Adds up to 12G.  And it is
swapping.  Sounds reasonable, it is maxed out on memory, this is where
swap is supposed to make space, right?

These options change the buffer space allocated by unbound: so-rcvbuf,
so-sndbuf, maybe also so-reuseport, or more tcp connections (that use
buffer space) or more network interfaces, or simply a different kernel
version that uses (slightly) more memory or something along those lines.

What is the limit on the subnet cache size?  What does the memory max
out on when the subnetmodule is not enabled?

Best regards, Wouter