Unbound: slow issues.

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Wed Oct 26 12:16:52 UTC 2016

Hi Alex,

Your requestlist has AAAA queries in it, destined for IPv4 addresses.
 The wait times are very long; they look stalled.

Unbound generates AAAA queries internally, but only when do-ip6 is
enabled.  You have it disabled.

Your clients must therefore be the ones asking for AAAA records.  The
firewall is blocking query type AAAA?  Blocking a query type generates
this type of trouble.  Unbound cannot tell the difference between this
'random filtering' and a 'down server', and therefore must cease
sending traffic.  Also for your type A requests.  This causes
resolution to stop.

If you wanted to filter out queries on some sort of 'random' topic;
return a reply with an error code set.  Otherwise unbound can only
conclude the server is unreachable.

Best regards, Wouter