Log Resolving

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Oct 17 11:45:21 UTC 2016

Hi Lorenzo,

On 17/10/16 12:52, Lorenzo Mainardi via Unbound-users wrote:
>> Verbosity 2 may also give the information you seek, but much more condensed.
>
> Can I find some documentation about "verbosity 2" log format?

There isn't really documentation on the format.  An example lookup (I
shortened the lines for easier view).  And I added the ;; in between
lines to separate out the different parts of a single lookup.

notice: init module 0: validator
notice: init module 1: iterator
;;
info: resolving nlnetlabs.nl. A IN
;;
info: priming . IN NS
;;
info: response for . NS IN
info: reply from <.> 202.12.27.33#53
info: query response was ANSWER
;;
info: priming successful for . NS IN
;;
info: response for nlnetlabs.nl. A IN
info: reply from <.> 192.58.128.30#53
info: query response was REFERRAL
;;
info: response for nlnetlabs.nl. A IN
info: reply from <nl.> 2a00:1188:5::212#53
info: query response was REFERRAL
;;
info: response for nlnetlabs.nl. A IN
info: reply from <nlnetlabs.nl.> 2a04:b900::8:0:0:60#53
info: query response was ANSWER

The line with 'resolving  ...' means that this was a cache miss and it
is going to lookup up this query.

are sequences of lines that belong together.  They tell you what is
happening to the query.  You probably want to see the type ANSWER
response, the last one.  And see that the server for the domain
nlnetlabs.nl and its IP address (and #port number) answered for it.  If
there are errors a response with type ANSWER may never occur in the logs.

Best regards, Wouter