Monitoring Unbound

Alexey Ivanov savetherbtz at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 19:32:17 UTC 2016

My 2 cents:
* We try to structure our stats in a Errors->Saturation->Utilization way,  which is consistent with USE methodology[1] or Google's Four Golden Signals[2]. In case of unbound it is:
  * Servfails, availability measured by blackbox tests
  * Queue sizes, queue drops, blackbox tests latency
  * Number of Queries w/ breakdowns by querytype/answercode, cache hit rate
* We also graphs some basic internal stats, like memory usage, cpu usage, restart rate, etc.
* Breakdowns and drill downs are very useful to reduce MTTR.

[1] http://www.brendangregg.com/usemethod.html
[2] https://landing.google.com/sre/book.html