forward to dnsmasq not working

Spike spike at drba.org
Thu May 19 23:20:47 UTC 2016

Dear all,

I'm using unbound on ubuntu server 14.04 as a resolver for a local network.
We also have dnsmasq providing dhcp and I wanted to use it to resolve local
hostnames too. the local domain is "office".

Dnsmasq is configured with "domain=office" and unbound is configured as
follows:

private-domain: "office"
forward-zone:
  name: "office"
  forward-addr: 10.0.0.42

this works. however now I wanted to add a subdomain, "upstairs" and have
hosts such as host1.upstairs.office. I was expecting the forward to still
work since upstairs is a subdomain of office, but I don't see any requests
being sent over. For kicks I tried to add a forward-zone for
upstairs.office, but that also resulted in no queries being sent to
dnsmasq. *.office also did not work.

I also have a forward-zone "." that sends all queries to opendns and that
works just fine in combo with "office".

what am I missing?

regards,

Spike