Trying to fetch SRV data with libunbound / libldns

Willem Toorop willem at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu May 12 14:15:29 UTC 2016

Rick,

You can parse the packet returned by ub_result.answer_packet with
ldns_wire2pkt().  For example when res is of type ub_result *, then

if ((s = ldns_wire2pkt(&pkt, res->answer_packet, res->answer_len)))
	/* handle error */

else if (!(rrs = ldns_pkt_answer(pkt)))
	/* handle error */

else for (i = 0; i < ldns_rr_list_rr_count(rrs); i++) {
	ldns_rr *rr = ldns_rr_list_rr(rrs, i);

	if (!rr || ldns_rr_get_type(rr) != LDNS_RR_TYPE_SRV)
		continue;

	uint16_t priority = ldns_rdf2native_int16(ldns_rr_rdf(rr, 0));
	uint16_t weight = ldns_rdf2native_int16(ldns_rr_rdf(rr, 1));
	uint16_t port = ldns_rdf2native_int16(ldns_rr_rdf(rr, 2));
	ldns_rdf *target = ldns_rr_rdf(rr, 3);

	/* Do stuff */
}

Not that it is not safe to use ldns_rdf2native_int16 directly on what
ldns_rr_rdf returns.  You should test for NULL first.  I just wrote it
so for clarity.

Cheers,

-- Willem