DHCP question

Benno Overeinder benno at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Jul 6 14:38:29 UTC 2016

On 06/07/16 16:21, Nico CARTRON via Unbound-users wrote:
> On 06 Jul 2016, at 15:32, Bryan C. Everly <bryan at bceassociates.com> wrote:
>
>>> You mean you want the DNS zone bar.com to be updated with the hostname of
>>> your laptop (foo in your case)?
>>> Unbound being a recursive/cache DNS server, that won’t be possible.
>>> You’ll need to set up an Authoritative DNS server (like NSD, Bind or Knot,
>>> all of which are available for OpenBSD) to have this.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nico
>>
>> Thanks for the quick response.  I will look into an authoritative server.
>
> As pointed out by someone else, better try with BIND first. Didn't try with NSD and Knot especially on such a scenario.

For the adventurous, you can probably make/hack something yourself with
unbound-control local_data /RR data/.   With local-zones, Unbound is
"authoritative" for the RR data in a zone.  (Note there are different
modes for local-zones: transparent, redirect, deny, etc.  See man pages
of unbound and unbound-control.)

Cheers,

-- Benno

--