New forward zone records only on restart

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Apr 7 07:07:36 UTC 2016

Hi Scott,

The neg-cache-size does not do what you want, it caches DNSSEC
information, for DS lookups.  So changing it won't fix your problem.

Did you try to dig +cdflag ?  Does the servfail disappear?  If so, you
have a DNSSEC problem.  Set val-log-level: 2 in your unbound.conf and
it'll printout a validator error.

You have forward statements, but really, to contact authority servers
you should use stub statements.  An improvement, unlikely the bug.

Do you need domain-insecure for the internal zones?  You have it for the
reverse zone but not your own?

If not, such servfails are only cached very briefly.  Wait a couple
seconds, set verbosity to 4 on unbound, and dig at it.  Those logs then
tell you what unbound is seeing, including wire 'dig like' output of
what it gets from your authority servers.

Best regards, Wouter