Unbound not always resolving immediately after start.

Daisuke HIGASHI daisuke.higashi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 12:15:18 UTC 2015

Hi,

SERVFAIL on tweakers.net seems to be from fix on CVE-2014-8500.
This fix essentially limits number of query (to authoritative servers)
to resolve target qname. If a qname requires many query to resolve
it becomes SERVFAIL This situation often occurs when cache is empty
(e.g. just after starting unbound or cache flush)

bind-users have discussed same issue last year:
  https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2014-December/thread.html

Possible workarounds are to increase MAX_TARGET_COUNT
(iterator/iterator.h) to relax number of query limitation but it may
reduce robustness against CVE-2014-8500-related attack.

Daisuke HIIGASHI