[Unbound-users] Local-data CNAME-Records seems not to work properly

Jan Mueller jan.mueller at razorfish.de
Thu Mar 5 11:35:27 UTC 2015

Hey there

I am facing the following problem:

We need to fake some CNAME-Records to test new deployments, mainly located at Amazon AWS. To do this, we have the following setup:

local-zone: "example.com" static
        local-data: "www.example.com IN CNAME example-aws-dns-record-1234567.eu-west-1.elb.amazonaws.com."
        local-data: "www2.example.com IN A 8.8.8.8"

Note that the CNAME points to a foreign domain and since it points towards a load balancer, which changes his IP quite often, we must use CNAME records.

When using tools like 'dig' everything works fine and the asked CNAME or A record is answered. We experience problems, when try to use the CNAME record in a 'normal' DNS request, like ping a DNS-Name.

ping www2.example.com works fine. www2.example.com is resolved to 8.8.8.8 and the IP receives a ping.

ping www.example.com<http://www.example.com> does not work at all -> "ping: unknown host www.example<http://www.example>.com"
-> it's almost like unbound would deny to resolve "example.com-1234567.eu-west-1.elb.amazonaws.com." (which by the way works finde when I directly ping this) when it has previously served the fake CNAME.

Can you help me to get rid of this very specific problem?

Thank you in advance,
regards

?

Jan Müller  /  Junior Systems Administrator  ///  Office: +49.30.2936388.418
Razorfish GmbH
Stralauer Allee 2b
10245 Berlin

Chamber of Commerce: Frankfurt am Main - HRB 45639, company registered and located in Frankfurt am Main. Directors: Sascha Martini, Ariel Marciano. Authorized signatory: Kai Greib. This email may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this email in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this email. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this email is strictly forbidden.

Disclaimer The information in this email and any attachments may contain proprietary and confidential information that is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, retention or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. When addressed to our clients or vendors, any information contained in this e-mail or any attachments is subject to the terms and conditions in any governing contract. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately contact the sender and delete the e-mail.