[Unbound-users] segfault when using dnstap at high load

Robert Edmonds edmonds at debian.org
Wed Apr 8 03:43:32 UTC 2015

Hi, Rogerio:

Thanks for these details, I can easily spin up a dual core amd64 VM
running Debian jessie soon and try to replicate the problem.

Do you get a segfault immediately, or does it only occur after running
for some time under load?

Can you try testing with "num-threads: 1"?  (This will still result in
multiple threads running in the Unbound process, but the dnstap I/O
thread will only be consuming data from a single worker thread.)

Also, can you compile your unbound package with debugging symbols and
obtain a backtrace from a crash?  You should be able to build a
debugging enabled package with:

    DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS='nostrip debug' dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc -us

Then, run "gdb --args unbound -d" until it crashes, and at the gdb
prompt run:

    thread apply all bt full

Thanks!