[Unbound-users] Strange lookup error

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Wed Sep 11 13:13:49 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-11, at 09:01, Mathias Tauber <tauberml at hdpnet.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we've got here a little problem with resolving single domains. Two examples:
>
>  ~# host www.oas.com
>  www.oas.com is an alias for www.lb.oas.com.
>  www.lb.oas.com has address 200.230.27.19
>  ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>  ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

host is doing lookups for A, AAAA and MX. In the case of a CNAME answer to the A or AAAA queries with no additional-section answers for the CNAME RDATA, I believe host will do additional lookups.

If you want to nail this down, I suggest using dig and specifying the unbound server you suspect has problems explicitly.

Joe