[Unbound-users] Is It Correct Unbound Config as Validating DNS Server/Resolver ?

Bry8 Star bry8star at inventati.org
Tue May 28 05:43:39 UTC 2013

When "num-threads: 2" then total thread used by unbound.exe was 6.

Tested further, in DNS-Server (192.168.0.10), with these modified lines:

num-threads: 4
outgoing-range: 225  # when thread = 4
outgoing-num-tcp: 25
incoming-num-tcp: 25
num-queries-per-thread: 110  # when thread = 4
msg-cache-slabs: 4
rrset-cache-slabs: 4
infra-cache-slabs: 4
key-cache-slabs: 4

With such as above config options, now unbound.exe service is using
total 8 threads.

Below process thread under the unbound.exe still using very high CPU
resources, frequently, and specially when unsigned.tld type of DNS
queries are attempted:

msvcrt.dll!endthreadex+0x29

Sometime it uses so much CPU that Network interface's tray icon
changes, and shows yellow triangle with exclamation mark, so network
adapter stops working!

So, by using "Process Hacker" or "Process Explorer", i have changed
Priority of "unbound.exe" service from "Normal" (8) into "Below
Normal" (6), and after that, when CPU usage jumps up at-least
Network Interface itself does not get disabled, most times.

And i observed over longer time period, network interface gets
disabled bit more when "num-threads: 4", so i've reverted back to
using "num-threads: 2".

So now unbound service.conf file has such configuration:

num-threads: 2
outgoing-range: 450  # when thread = 2
outgoing-num-tcp: 35
incoming-num-tcp: 35
num-queries-per-thread: 225  # when thread = 2
msg-cache-slabs: 2
rrset-cache-slabs: 2
infra-cache-slabs: 2
key-cache-slabs: 2
target-fetch-policy: "3 2 1 1 1 1"

DNS-Server is running on a computer which has:

AMD processor 64 bit, 2.2 GHz, ( 1 CPU with
single core, SSE1, SSE2),
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC,
nVidia chipset based Mobo,
2GB DDR RAM,
Windows 7 64 bit,
It's average RAM usage is around ~35%, at max ~60%,
unbound.exe 32 bit.

And DNS-Server now running better, but occasional high cpu usage
problem still remained when unsigned sites are queried.

In client side computers, unbound resolvers are now configured to
use 2 threads and running better, though they were running just fine
with 1 thread as well.

IF/WHEN YOU ARE REPLYING, PLEASE MAKE SURE TO
PLACE ONLY ONE/BELOW EMAIL ADDRESS IN THE
"TO:" FIELD/Text-Box:

unbound-users at unbound.net

Please do not send any email directly to me, Thanks.

-- Bright Star (Bry8Star).

Received from Bry8 Star, on 2013-05-27 7:52 PM: