[Unbound-users] Reply Email Going To User Instead of Mailing-List, Pls Fix

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Thu Mar 21 18:30:01 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-21, at 14:10, Bry8 Star <bry8star at yahoo.com> wrote:

> NLnetLabs is the nly mailing-list, where i manually copy the
> unbound-users at unbound.net email address and paste in the "To:" to
> send to mailing-list,
> NEVER SEEN any such mailing list, beside this !

NLNet Labs is not actually a mailing list, but they host several and I understand what you mean.

Our experience differs; I am currently subscribed to around 200 netops and related mailing lists, and they all use the correct behaviour (i.e. the behaviour exhibited by this list). Organisations like the IETF, whose primary channel for discussion and work is mailing lists do this too, and have always done it this way as far as I know.

On every one of the lists I've been subscribed to over the past couple of decades at least one person has appeared insisting that it would be beneficial to change the way the mailing list forwards mail, with specific reference to reply-to/group reply. They give up after a while. You're tilting at windmills.

You don't need to manually copy anything when you reply to a message received from this list; you just need to "reply all" or "group reply", or whatever your mail client calls it. People who filter mail from lists into folders, server-side often appreciate the additional direct reply. People who don't find other ways to cope (e.g. procmail/formail -D).

> How is it standard feat, and not a bug !
> Why should i send reply to a user, instead of the mailing-list ! ?

People frequently reply directly to the senders of specific messages on mailing lists without intending to copy the list. It's good practice to take side conversations off-list to avoid disturbing the (sometimes thousands of) other subscribers who don't need to hear a private conversation.

With the behaviour you're advocating, many such intended-private replies will go to the list by accident. Hilarity often ensues.

We've been doing things this way for the past 20 years that I've been using mailing lists, and likely for longer than that. This way is better, honest.

Joe