[Unbound-users] Feature request: Unbound in forwarding mode to use TCP

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Mar 21 09:05:50 UTC 2013

Hi Olafur,

On 03/15/2013 03:30 PM, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:

> Basically what I want is a configuration option that allows me to
> specify the preferred transport protocol something like: forwarder:
> <blash> prefer TCP; or tcp-forwarder: <blah> or udp-forwarder:
> <blah>

Such detailed config is not available, did you know the following
option is already implemented?
tcp-upstream: yes

If you set this, all communication with upstream (whether forwarding
or not forwarding) is done over TCP.  You can also add config as a
forwarder, and thus have TCP forwarding.

If you are really paranoid, you can even use SSL-wrapped transport
with unbound, but this is trickier to set up (and it does not do
actual X509 PKI checks, just encapsulates the traffic).

Best regards,
   Wouter