[Unbound-users] Unbound stops answering after ADSL-line bounce

Mark Picone mark.picone at deakin.edu.au
Tue Aug 21 06:09:09 UTC 2012

Hi All,

Continuing from: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.dns.unbound.user/1976

Does anyone know if cause/fix for this behaviour was ever discovered?

I considered playing with the 'infra-host-ttl' setting but we have seen outages of 10 hours+ (with unbound returning NXDOMAIN for all forwarded queries until it is restarted) so I don't think lowering from the default of 900 seconds would help in our case.

I am fairly confident the problem is unbound related as we have BIND resolvers running side-by-side and they have not skipped a beat, over many years.

For now we'll be moving back to BIND (9.8.0b1+, which has the static-stub zone type we need) but I would like to try unbound again at some point in the future.

Nagios check graphs which show the resolvability of 'google.com':
http://www.deakin.edu.au/~markp/unbound/unbound_resolver1.png
http://www.deakin.edu.au/~markp/unbound/unbound_resolver2.png

user at host:~ %cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.2 (Santiago)

user at host:~ %uname -a
Linux host 2.6.32-220.7.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Feb 10 15:22:22 EST 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

user at host:~ %rpm -qa | grep unbound
unbound-1.4.14-1.el6.x86_64
unbound-libs-1.4.14-1.el6.x86_64

Regards,

Mark Picone
Unix Administrator

Deakin University
Geelong Waterfront Campus
1 Gheringhap Street, Geelong, VIC 3220
Phone: +61 3 52278602
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code 00113B

Important Notice: The contents of this email are intended solely for the named addressee and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please delete it and any attachments immediately and advise the sender by return email or telephone.

Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any attachments are error or virus free.