[Unbound-users] "Tunnel" dnssec through local forward-zone?

Mon Jul 25 16:06:07 UTC 2011

Hi Anders,

On 07/25/2011 06:40 PM, Anders Sundman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running unbound locally on 127.0.0.1 and a DNS TCP proxy (ttdnsd) on
> 127.0.0.2. The setup is a simple forward-zone; I ask unbound and unbound
> asks ttdnsd:
>
> forward-zone:
>   name: "."
>   forward-addr: 127.0.0.2
>
> Now I'm trying to get dnssec working but I've run in to some problems.
>
> The auto-trust-anchor-file (root.key in this case) has been successfully
> updated but:
>
> $ dig com. SOA +dnssec @127.0.0.1
>
> doesn't set the AD flags in the response. Instead I get the following in
> my logfile:
>
> "validation failure <com. SOA IN>: key for validation com. is marked as
> invalid because of a previous validation failure <com. SOA IN>:
> signatures from unknown keys from 127.0.0.2 for DS com. while building
> chain of trust".
>
> Querying ttdnsd with:
>
> $ dig com. SOA +dnssec @127.0.0.2
>
> Gives me a SOA and RRSIG record back (but no AD).
>
> I'm guessing this is because ttdnsd doesn't support validating dnssec
> queries.

It need not support validation, but it has to support dnssec: pass
through RRSIGs and be able to fetch DNSSEC types, such as the DS record.
What does dig com. DS +dnssec @127.0.0.2 say?  I have the sneaky
suspicion that it does not properly fetch the DS record from the parent
servers on that zonecut, but provides the data from the child-side of
that zonecut (there is then no DS record there and it is all signed with
the wrong keys).

> Since I trust the local instance of ttdnsd - is there any way to "skip"
> that part of the validation chain and transparently "tunnel" through it?

Best regards,
   Wouter