[Unbound-users] Unbound release 1.4.12

Carsten Strotmann unbound at strotmann.de
Mon Jul 18 15:55:20 UTC 2011

On 7/18/11 5:31 PM, lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de wrote:

> Me too!!
> The systems i use Unbound don't have libldns from the OS packages at all
> because nothing is using it there. So without --with-libldns-builtin my
> options are:
> - Install ldns from source with bad things happen if one day another
> application is using ldns from the OS
> - Install ldns from the distribution but this are way too old on many
> systems (1.2.1 on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS)
> - Try to hack around and get the old behaviour :-(
> - Stick with Unbound provided from the distribution :-(

Our (Men & Mice) solution is to build ldns to be in /usr/local/ldns and
install it into its own directory (/usr/local/ldns-<version>), then
having a symlink /usr/local/ldns-1.6.10 -> /usr/local/ldns

We build Unbound with '--with-ldns=/usr/local/ldns'

This scheme prevents clashes with the ldns delivered with the OS.

free downloads of ldns build this way (RedHat, Solaris 10) are available
from
http://goo.gl/9ZC3U

We build libevent and libev the same way, as well as Unbound itself.

This allows multiple versions of the same software/library to be
installed and the versions can be switched by changing the symlink.

the private ldns is not in the library search path, it will not be used
by OS packaged applications.

Best regards

Carsten Strotmann