[Unbound-users] PTR's for private address space

Gareth Hopkins gabbawp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 09:39:55 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have the following scenario.

Unbound server on private address network (192.168) which I want to run as a
local cache.

A windows box on the same network is the only box allowed to do DNS lookups,
along with it also serving PTR requests for the private address
range (mostly DHCP assigned addresses)

I want the unbound box to forward all queries to the windows box (including
reverse queries for the 192.168 range) and then cache those entries.

I have the following in place for the request forwarding

forward-zone:
        name: "."
        forward-addr: <windows box>

which works for all forward lookups

When I do a reverse lookup I get the following

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
168.192.in-addr.arpa.   10800   IN      SOA     localhost. nobody.invalid. 1
3600 1200 604800 10800

but when I query the windows box directly I get the correct answer.

Is it possible to get unbound to answer for the reverse entries ?

Cheers,

Gareth