[Unbound-users] TCP random timeouts

Thomas Guthmann tguthmann at iseek.com.au
Tue Nov 16 02:14:38 UTC 2010

Hi Wouter,

Thanks for your quick reply as usual :)

> This indicates the remote end closed read the read end of the tcp
> channel. [..]
Ok. I think they happen more when unbound seems to struggle to resolve
TCP queries. Indeed if recursion takes too long, the client closes the
connection after a defined timeout.

> But this does not seem to explain the tcp issues you say you have.  What
> is the observed problem again?  What queries are giving resolution
> problems and timeouts - are you sure they even use tcp [..]
My problem is that sometimes any TCP queries timeout because they seem
stuck somewhere in unbound. It's _not_ due to a specific query. I have
the problem randomly and it affects all TCP queries. My loadbalancers
test my unbound clusters by doing some : "dig +tcp google.com
@UNBOUND_IP". I tried locally when it seems stuck and I have the same
behaviour. How can I distinguish the TCP from the UDP queries in a
unbound dump_requestlist ?

For the moment, my problem hasn't occurred again but I know it will. I
will try to do more debugging next time to see if it's unbound or
something else.

Also I forgot to paste my current config. Each server has 1G of memory
and unbound used ~760M once the cache is full. Servers are not heavily
used yet (see stats below over a ~5min period of time).

server:
         verbosity: 1
         interface-automatic: yes
         outgoing-range: 950