[Unbound-users] TCP random timeouts

Thomas Guthmann tguthmann at iseek.com.au
Wed Dec 1 02:43:13 UTC 2010

Re,

> What was the complaint?  Perhaps it complained about having to increase
> the ulimit?  Otherwise, it should not complain if you have libevent (and
> it looks like it works).  ulimit -n shows the number of file descriptors
> that you allow; unbound tries to increase it (if it has root powers) if
> you configure it to use lots.

Yes it was an ulimit complaint about not having enough "open files". So
I finally decided to change the limits.conf to nofile=4096 to root and
unbound. Then the warning disappeared. It appeared because I increased
num-tcp from 10 to 50 and obviously I used more than 1024 - before it
was 950 + 10 + 10 so it was ok. But I thought that with libevent I
didn't have to change ulimit. Something seems wrong.

It's confusing and hard to know in which mode we are, maybe it would be
nice to print it when unbound starts (actually it somehow already says
that with unbound -h).

To summarize, it looks like I have libevent support but it does not use
it :)

Cheers,
Thomas