[Unbound-users] DNS multiplexer?

John Robson john.robson at appliansys.com
Wed Aug 11 14:10:38 UTC 2010

2010/8/11 Patrik Fältström <patrik at frobbit.se>

> On 11 aug 2010, at 14.59, João Damas wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of any code that will let one to run Unbound and NSD on
> the same IP address and still use port 53 for listening on both?
>
> Can you not run NSD on the same IP address but different port, and then set
> unbound to forward queries for the zones NSD is authoritative for to
> localhost:<port>? I.e. unbound listen on 53.

This is what we do.

We do offer the option to have BIND listening elsewhere, but we
(optionally) have an auto generated include file containing the zones in
named.conf pointing to a non default localhost port, and BIND always
listening on that port.

This keeps the unbound config clean, we just run the generation script and
unbound-control reload as part of the BIND reconfiguration process.  I'm
sure you could parse the NSD config similarly.

John

--
John Robson
Senior Support Engineer