[Unbound-users] unbound 1.4.6 released

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 4 10:47:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 11:23:48 +0200
"Marco Davids (SIDN)" <marco.davids at sidn.nl> wrote:

> Hi Wouter,
>
> On 08/03/10 16:59, W.C.A. Wijngaards wrote:
>
> >> Is it possible to add dnscurve support to the todo list?
>
> > It is currently at the IETF and if that standardization (and fix)
> > process is done, then we can consider adding it.
>
> > The IETF process can take some time and make changes to the
> > spec, therefore the decision is better made at a later date.
>
> That argument, even though it makes sense, seems somewhat inconsistent
> with an earlier decision to implement draft-vixie-dnsext-dns0x20-00 in
> Unbound. I liked playing with the 0x20 feature though, so at least I for
> one was was happy that you implemented it as an option. I suppose I
> could be equally happy with fiddling around with DNScurve a bit. A
> '--with-dnscurve' configure-option would work just fine for me (will
> keep things leand and mean for others). So as far as I am concerned, the
> 'IETF standardization'-argument doesn't necessarily has to be a
> showstopper here.

I'm obviously a supporter of dnscurve but I do see that if it get's
very little adoption (OpenDNS seem the only major one at present) then
adding it may be a waste of developers time, though I'm under the
impression that it's meant to be easy to implement and I'm hoping
unbound may be able to kick others into action. It would also be the
only and first one supporting dnssec and dnscurve as far as I am aware,
thereby acquiring other users like me and/or press coverage.