[Unbound-users] Captive portal question

Tim Kindberg tim at matter2media.com
Fri Apr 23 06:25:43 UTC 2010

Dear Unbound users,

I'm using unbound to build a somewhat unusual type of captive portal.
It's a Linux box that acts as a restricted WiFi access point to a group
of clients, and which has an outbound connection to the internet and
knows DNS servers to use out there.

The portal lets users freely access one particular site on the internet;
it forces accesses to another specific site back to itself; and it makes
everything else go to a third specific site on the internet.  In other
words, it behaves as follows:

1. traffic to example1.org is to be resolved normally, i.e. ultimately
by the DNS server on the internet that the captive portal machine knows
about
2. traffic to example2.org is to be resolved to 192.168.0.1 (the captive
portal machine)
3. everything else is to resolve to example3.org, a machine out on the
internet

I've added the following to my conf file.  1 & 2 work fine but 3 doesn't
work.  I'd be grateful for advice about what I'm doing wrong.

local-zone: "." redirect
local-zone "example1.org." transparent
local-zone "example2.org." static
local-zone "example3.org." transparent
local-data: ". IN CNAME example3.org."
local-data: "example2.org. IN A 192.168.0.1"

dig bbc.co.uk gives:
; <<>> DiG 9.4.3-P3 <<>> bbc.co.uk
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;bbc.co.uk.            IN    A

;; Query time: 1 msec

BTW, I now see that the documentation specifically says the CNAME local
data won't work, and advises me to use a stub zone.  But when I look at
the documentation for that, none of it seems to relate to what I'm
trying to achieve, i.e. the * -> example3.org mapping, except for the
exceptions identified above.

Cheers,

Tim

--